Ideas Modules

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2011 at 12:05 PM
Edited Jan 19, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Lets use this thread to list ideas for modules to be created. If you have an idea add it to the thread. If you find an idea on here you want to build out, go for it. HEre are some ideas to get us started:

Social Media ideas

Useful data ideas

• Standard RSS/ATOM feed parsing module. Possibly integrate with GeoRSS module, or rewrite GeoRSS module to extend this module.
  • GPX module - create parser similar to GeoRSS
  • Well Know Text module - create module that can read and write well known text
  • Well Know Binary module - create module that can read and write well known binary
  • GeoJSON module - create a module for reading and writing GeoJSON.
  • Corrdinate Transformation tools - create a module that converts coordinates of different projects into WGS84. Use Proj4js to do the conversions but wrap the Location class of Bing Maps so that the conversion happens automatically.

Visual ideas

• Photosynth module - Create a module that makes integrating photosynth with Bing Maps as easy.
  • London Underground Module - Wrap the free feeds to add London Underground data on the map: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpartners/syndication/16492.aspx Maybe extracting the rail line information so we can overlay the routes on the map would be good too.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Hi,

Great idea for a community project. My ideas would be:

• Custom Map Type Module  - hiding standard and adding custom map types including OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap, etc. Unless this already exists - if so point me at it :-)
  • Elevation Data Module - reference a known elevation data provider and add data to existing points
Oct 7, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Hello,

Another idea:

• Module for integrating Map services, Geometry services, and possibly other services from ArcGIS Server, perhaps through the ArcGIS Server REST API
Coordinator
Jan 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM

@drazic19:

Custom map layers can be added fairly easily http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg427598.aspx. Disabling the base layer can be done by setting it to type "mercator".

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2012 at 3:38 PM
drazic19 wrote:

Hi,

Great idea for a community project. My ideas would be:

• Custom Map Type Module  - hiding standard and adding custom map types including OpenStreetMap, OpenCycleMap, etc. Unless this already exists - if so point me at it :-)
  • Elevation Data Module - reference a known elevation data provider and add data to existing points

The Custom Map Type module can be done by setting the map style to mercator which will disable th ebase tile layer, and then add your custom tile layer to the map.